Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Redefining Holidays

    Holidays are usually so stressful. I end up thinking too much and complaining about how far out of our way we'll have to go to cater to all the grandparents.
   This year, the two tiniest babies fell asleep, and our car died about four days ago. Since my car died I've been needing rides to work  and it's really draining to think about. With a family that doesn't fit in the standard car, getting a ride for Halloween was just about impossible.
   It really pushes your limits to be put on the spot like that. And stressed. It really pushes your limits to be stressed all the time.

    Given what we could at the time, I ended up taking the two oldest girls out while Daddy watched the two smallest ones sleep at home.
    We didn't visit each and every grandparent to show off costumes. We didn't drive to each end of town, and we didn't find "all the best houses." We just went and discovered who lives in our own area.

    You know what? It's was incredibly nice!

    I really don't like the area I'm living in. Leaving is my motivation that keeps me blogging every day. However, there are a lot of nice people who live around here and I'm glad I know that now. Had I not been forced to look past the loud, obnoxious people I see every day, I probably wouldn't have known we had anything else.

    I get the feeling that exploring your own space during Halloween used to be more community. I expect before cars, playing around in your neighborhood was more common.
    I can't wait to find a place where we can fit in. A place with lots of parents who have done parenting classes and CARE about their little ones.

    I can imagine wandering around my own neighborhood on Halloween, where everyone is an understanding parent, and it sounds amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment