Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Oh Fishy, Fishy Fish

As a mommy of four girls, three of which are under four, I don't sleep much.

    I'm too tired to blog today.

    Sometime in 2011, when my oldest daughter was about 5, I let her pick out a fish.
    Surprize! She, of course, picked out a 20 cent feeder fish, half white, half orange, and named him Jesse, because, at the time, she named everything Jessee.

Baby Jesse in 2011
    It was good, that he was 20 cents, it was bad that he was a feeder fish, which remain untreated when they are sick and are generally not cared for as well as fish that sell for more than a dollar.

    Well, Jesse is a beloved part of our family now, being hand fed every morning by my husband, me or very lovingly fed by Bubbles, our animal loving mini-momma.

    Yesterday, while feeding him, Bubbles mentioned that he had an owie on his tail.

    He had gone through an infection that resolved itself the day I got him some tetracycline, so to see it crop up again, I freaked out and dropped the tetracycline in the tank, forgetting that that will kill off the helpful bacteria in his filter.

    Fun fun.
Big Jesse in 2016
    Also, we had run out of his fishy treats, And, the heater in his tank wasn't working well enough to keep a sick fishy warm.
 
    Without his treats, Jesse, a.k.a Fishy got sadder and sadder. He barely breathed and sat on the bottom of the tank, and it seemed like something else needed to be done.

    I sat next to him and pet his tank to remind him of all the krill we hand feed him every morning, and he stared at me. Even with his tiny fishy brain, he acknowledged me with sad, sick eyes, and I was sad too.
    When that fish finally does go, I know a lot of little girls who will be quite sad.

    Well, I ended up running to the store, late at night, or super early this morning, I suppose, at 1 am.

    After much deliberation over Walmart's very limited fish food and aquarium heater selection, I ran home like a superhero to Save Our Pet!

    He ate five pinches of shrimps which was all the food he'd had since he stopped eating the day before, and this morning, he's swimming around like he doesn't have a bright red tail.

   It's good to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment