Monday, October 3, 2016

Dippy Eggs

    Once upon a time. . .
             when I was a baby Breezy, my cousin and her sister loved "dippy eggs" which were over easy eggs that they'd dip their toast in.

    As a child I found the "raw in the middle" idea of over easy eggs made me, uneasy. I was horrified. Mortified. Terrified. Disgusted. Yuck.


    But then, my other cousin introduced me to a food she called "Cowboys." In V for Vendetta Gordon calls it "Eggy in the Basket."
    Apparantly they are sometimes called a "Bird's Nest"

   If you do call it "Eggy in the Basket" please do your best at the accent. It's just so much better that way.

    It's a buttered piece of toast with a circle removed from the center, usually with either a round cookie cutter or a cup's edge. An egg is fried, over-easy, in the center and the bread puck from the center is fried to, to dip in your dippy eggs.



    Well, fast forward years later and I make Cowboys for my husband. To begin with, he was also horrified and disgusted, but after about two, he began his long, loving relationship with dipping things in his dippy eggs. When he started his keto diet, he switched to dipping his bacon in over-easy eggs. He adores them.

    I make them for our kids and they also love the dippy eggs.

    Well, fast forward even more and a few weeks ago, while he's out drinking with friends.
    It's not the most pleasant day he's had. After drinks, they go out to eat and he orders "Dippy Eggs," because, well, he's always been a daddy. . . aaaaand he's never heard me refer to them with their adult title, over easy.
    Luckily for him the waiter was either a daddy himself, or served enough kids who love dippy eggs because he knew what my love was refering to.

   Tehe. woops.

No comments:

Post a Comment